Balancing acts/The middle way
10 tips for instructors (and students)
- When you have a tough time getting your balance in class... often
balance of your "outside" life is out of whack too.
- Concepts are more important than techniques. But techniques are
- People need to be recognized. 30 seconds of small talk after or before
class can mean so much to a student.
- Passion is contagious. Let your students catch a glimpse of this
yourself and watch their energy output skyrocket.
- People don't mind being yelled at if you have a smile on your face.
- Sometimes be a hero. Sometimes be a friend. Sometimes be a teacher.
Sometimes be a student.
- If you assign pushups because someone moved in attention stance,
the pushups with them.
- Nothing is as awesome as your 16 year old purple belt writing an
class essay about you as his most influential role-model.
- Students are the lifeblood of the arts. Without students... we can
call ourselves teachers.
- Never try to make your assistant instructor like you. Because you
can reach more students with two different teaching styles than you
can with one.